Walkden Signal box was an all timber box built for the L&YR by the signalling contractor RSCo ltd (the railway signal company limited) in 1888 & dates from the opening of the L&Y railways 4 track express main line from crow nest junction to Windsor bridge.
The box is supported on timber piles at the top of a high embankment & still has its original 24 lever 1888 RSCo frame mounted in the front of the box.
In 1990 the method of operation was absolute block to Atherton goods yard SB(or to crow nest jct SB when Atherton goods is switched out)& track circuit block to Manchester Piccadilly PSB.
At the time of writing the signal box at Walkden is still in use & the methods of signalling operation remain unchanged,although the signal box was modernised with UPVC windows & cladding in 2002 which has sadly removed a lot of its original 1888 features.
At least the box remains in use & survives.