HOLLINWOOD SIGNAL BOX

Hollinwood signal box was an all timber box built by the L&Y railway co in 1913 & fitted with a 48 lever L&Y frame mounted in the front of the box.
The box was located at the Oldham end of the up platform & directly adjacent to the under-bridge which allowed the railway to pass over Bower Lane
Towards the end of its life the box was only open on a split shift basis to break up the block section during the morning & evening rush hour peaks in traffic.
The method of operation was “absolute block”to Oldham mumps in the Oldham direction & to thorpes bridge junction in the Manchester direction,the signal box at Hollinwood retained its vintage L&YR wooden block instruments right up to its closure.
wp28cfdebb_0f
Hollinwood signal box closed on the 26th JUNE 1994 & the site cleared to allow a 38 metre span bridge to be slid into place that would eventually carry the railway over bower lane & part of the M60 (Manchester orbital motorway)
The station platforms were also moved slightly closer towards Manchester to allow the new bridge to be accommodated.


Comments are Closed on this Post