Eccles Crossing signal box was a brick & timber box built by the L&YR in 1912 in conjunction with the rebuilding of Formby station & the provision of a new road overbridge at the Liverpool end of Formby station.
The 1912 signal box,located on the down side of the line,was fitted with a 20 lever L&Y frame mounted in the front of the box & replaced an earlier signal box made by the signalling contractor Saxby & Farmer (S&F).
The 1912 signal box also controlled the down side goods yard that existed behind the box up until the goods yard closed on the 17th January 1960
The signal box supervised the adjacent level crossing where raven Meols road crossed the line & in 1990 the box worked absolute block to Hightown in the Liverpool direction & absolute block to Freshfield in the Southport direction.
Eccles Crossing signal box closed on the 11th march 1994 under stage two of the Merseyrail northern lines resignalling,with control of the line & level crossing taken over by Merseyrail IECC (level crossing converted to CCTV operation from Merseyrail IECC at Sandhills)